Sunday, February 14, 2010

Valentine's Shmalentines


Happy Valentine's Day. Blech.


So, everyone knows today is a "Hallmark Holiday", invented by the card and candy industry to make a buck. Here's my question: why invent a holiday to celebrate something as arbitrary, as elusive as LOVE?


I mean, not everyone has a significant other. Not all of us want one, either. Yet, here comes February 14th and inevitably us singletons are left feeling, well, mediocre. No one greeted me with smiles and kisses this morning, no one offered to take me to dinner, and to my horror, my PARENTS sent me flowers. A sweetly intended gesture that made me nauseous. Yes, I am alone. I am nobody's sweetheart. 364 days a year I can swallow this fact. It's just this one day it seems a little rancid.


I am nobody's sweetheart, but I am Dan's Valentine. My dear, sweet, Dan asked me - via text message - to be his Valentine. A very generous offer. Especially since he lives in Georgia. I am thankful to have friends like Dan. The kind of close friendships that span decades and pick up right where they left off.


Tomorrow is a new day and I can wake up feeling empowered about my single status again. Tonight I think I will pop a few Tylenol PMs and dream of Mr. Right.

No comments:

Post a Comment