Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Vices...

* My darling friend Kristi recently wrote on her blog about some vices she was giving up.  Her deprivation, while inspiring, just got me thinking how much I actually value my vices.  I cherish them, to be exact.  I know some might consider this "idolatry" but it's not like that.  I would consider myself a minimalist to the nth degree - so if something - like a vice - is even a part of my life, it is because I intentionally put it there.  For example:

* Parliament Lights:  This one is ironic because the little white cancer sticks are actually one of the things Kristi is letting go of.  More power to ya, Lovey, but I am going to continue to suck on the indented filter, making a tobacco-colored star on the inside.  I know it's a gross and disgusting habit which ultimately could kill me.  However, something about the curls of smoke snaking their way around me while filling my lungs with the overwhelmingly pleasurable toxins makes me feel at ease.  I don't really "smoke".  I mean, not during daytime hours.  Just alone, in the confounds of my own solitude, after a glass or two of vino do I sneak outside in my bunny slippers to puff.  Then and any other time I consume alcohol.  Or if I happen to be on a road trip who's soul purpose is to make my palms sweat with rendezvous nerves.  You get the picture.  I don't NEED to smoke.  I choose to. 

* Gummy Bears:  I am consciously trying to avoid high fructose corn sugar.  After reading Food Rules (a quick 45 min one-sitting read - I highly recommend) I cannot justify choosing to put crap like hfcs in my body.  However, I choose to ignore said rule when it comes to the little animal shaped squishy masses.  They are delicious.  No matter what.  I like the clear ones the best, then the red ones.  I eat the yellows and oranges first - they are my least favorite.  I prefer them stale, like one day after opening the package.  They leave an oily residue on your fingers after a day or two in the oxygen.  I like that. 

1 comment:

  1. i feel the same about parliaments.. and i have yet to give them up entirely. i don't think i ever will.. i love having one, once in awhile, with coffee on my balcony. heaven. gonna go do that right now. see you tonight!

    ReplyDelete